Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Beliefs at Work

Beliefs at Work
I’ve been looking forward for quite some time now to having my own blog site.  Thanks to my good friend CB, I have a blogging site.  I also have an “OMG, where do I start?  Am I really going to be able to do this?”
Well, I’m starting right here, right now and yes, I’m pulling up my big girl pants and I’m doing this.  I know my subjects, having researched, lived and practiced them for many years.
Through upcoming blogs, I’d like to share some of the discoveries and insights I’ve made about beliefs and dreams.  I’d like to contribute them in hopes of enriching individual and collective awareness ….. Making life a little easier to navigate, providing healing outcomes.
Beliefs as you may or may not know are any thoughts that one takes, more importantly, accepts, as a fact of life.  In the mind of the thinker, it cannot be another way. 
Example:  Some years ago, I signed up to work as a census worker.  It was late in the evening when I reported to the location to take the test. As was my pattern, anytime, I could escape wearing business attire, I was all for it.  I usually dressed in sweats or something equally beyond casual.  First thing, I noticed when I walked into the room that day, was that the four or five people, already waiting for the facilitator, were all dressed in business like attire.  Most of they were chatting away with each other.  I happened to sit down next to a man immaculately groomed in full business garments, seemingly all by himself.   
Sitting for awhile with my own thoughts, I found myself thinking about how the man next to me was dressed and how I was dressed.  I began separating myself from him in my mind.  I kept thinking that he was judging how I was dressed, what I knew, where I was from, etc.  I was at a point in my self-development, however, whereby I realized that this didn’t have to be true.  He didn’t have to be thinking this way just because it was in my mind.  It did feel true though and my mind further told me that since I’d come in and the man was already seated before me, he could have said something to me but he didn’t.  It had to be because of my sweats.  I was sure he didn’t want to talk to me.  I decided to challenge the thought.  … Didn’t know what the outcome would be, but I wanted to open myself and prove my own bravery in willing to get the truth.   
I turned to man, smiled and said something probably about the weather or some other minimal ice breaker.  I eventually had to excuse myself as the man seemed to have (excuse the noun) diarrhea of the mouth.  He wouldn’t stop talking.    
Sanity ---- I interrupted my own belief of what I thought was reality – “people judge you by what you wear.”  Sometime they do.  Sometime they don’t but you do judge yourself all the time in all areas of relationships and project your conclusion/s outwardly onto others, believing them to be truth. 
What I believe to be true makes my world go around.  What we believe collectively to be true, makes THE WORLD go around.  Could it be different than what we’re thinking?
Learning to ask oneself, if it’s possible that something can be another way, is one of the first steps in examining beliefs vs. reality.    What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Joan! I read your first post with great interest and look forward to future ones. See one of my very very sparsely maintained blogs at judynelsonmoore.com.

    ReplyDelete